Fact or misconception???

Fact or misconception???

No matter how much electricity you use, the power company still burns the smae amount fo fuel! For an example, if you suddenly turn off your computer, you use less electricity. This saves you money, but the power company still burns the same amount of coal. They won't take one piece of coal back out of the fire just because you turned off your computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Am I correct??   

PS Support浩浩熵熵 !!
PPlleeaassee reply!
本帖最後由 ICE_AGE 於 20-4-2013 02:01 編輯

While the power plant cannot adjust to individual consumption of electricity, they adjust output to meet the overall demand, i.e. more at peak hours and less at off-peak hours.

Electricity companies know the general trend of demand and plan their production accordingly, besides, an electricity plant can response to sudden change of demand within a very short period of time (except for nuclear power plant). There is very little surplus.

Even the excess electricity is not wasted. It can be sold to the grid or stored in several ways, such as a pump-storage system.

So, your example of switching off a single computer is somewhat fussy because no one will adjust to such a tiny difference. However, if everyone turned off their computers at the same instant, the power company could reduce the supply because the difference is significant.
1# CKCM

If you use less electrical energy, the power plant burns less fuel.

The power supply system keeps a constant amplitude of AC voltage at the plugs at your home. As long as the circuit is not closed, no power (P=VI) is dissipated because there is no current (I=0). (In fact a very very small amount of dissipation occurs when the voltage oscillates, but that's negligible.)

Fuel costs. The power company charges you according to how much energy you use per month. It's not like a buffet, in which you are charged a fixed amount.
A1a>=a1a>