軍佬講故事第一篇《軍旅生涯有苦有樂》

軍佬講故事第一篇《軍旅生涯有苦有樂》

本帖最後由 Aussie_li 於 26-5-2010 16:49 編輯

Preface:
Hi, dear users on board. My name is Paul Li, due to the encouragement of 版主:白戶則道, I’m writing to tell you a true story by daily a part, in which you may share my personal biography as how a fit soldier suffering Quadriplegic and adopted his new life as a person with severe disabilities plus had won the praise of Hong Kong society years later, moreover in 1996 this disABLED Guy brought his family (wife + two aged 13 &10 sons) migrated to Australia for seeking enhancement of better quality of life and providing better environment to his boys.

1.  I LIKE ARMY LIFE
I joined the British Army - Hong Kong Military Service Corps family in 1973 because of reading recruitment on newspaper when just turning to 18 of age. I never heard that Chinese people could be enlisted in British Army even more the pay was far more than I earning at that time,(Recruit got $329 a month).

On the day of recruiting in Lyemun Barrack which located on the hill top of 筲箕灣 I was so excited by hearing the loud & sharp voices of Call-Out-Timing on the Drill square where a drill lesson was taken place,
It was the first time to hear this remarkable sharp and heart beating sound. “One…..Two Three,, One,” it’s soul-stirring to me.

My recruit training began in early July/1973, a very hot and humid season for physical exercises particularly outdoor trainings that’s why we always been made a joke by our Education Instructors, “You guys all disliked English class and loved PT lessons when studying in school, but now doing opposite!”We laughed and answered that we loved air condition, No sweat!! Certainly we can enjoy smoking during the class..

Recruits scared to training instructors (named NCOs)because NCOs would give recruits punishment without any reason, it may be polishing a pair of boot, some extra cleaning duties or toilet washing. We had to arrange our time consumption on daily room job and polishing boot plus uniform ironing,in addition some naughty guys would climb over fence to escape from barrack in night for own reasons or entertainments therefore time is worth to recruits. Due to the recruits were not allow to leave barrack during the weekday evenings but they often ran away for a free movie at Wing Wah cinema or having dinner or even bullied the civilian for venting our angers when being punished by NCOs….

At the time of 8th week, we had done a DRILL test, granting a pass result permitted recruits to leave the barrack for few recreation hours after the dinner but must returned barrack before 22:00hrs.

In the middle of August, 1973, a very serious big fight between Police & HKMSC soldiers was occurred.

1. 我喜愛軍旅生活
1973年剛年滿18歲的我因看到報章上招兵廣告,便參加了「香港軍事服務團」成為駐港英軍的一份子。從未知道香港的中國人也可參軍,更吸引的是薪酬比我當時所賺的還多,新進學兵每月可得$329元。

在位於筲箕灣山頂「鯉魚門兵營」參加招兵面試的當天,在等候時,我被一股非常響亮而齊聲的口號聲浪吸引,原來是一隊軍人正於操場上訓練步操。這是我第一次聽到那麼響徹雲霄和扣人心弦的叫喊著「One,,,…Two-Three,,,…ONE」。

19737月間,我入伍參與學兵訓練,當時正是炎炎夏日,每當接受戶外體能訓練時都非常辛苦。所以當期時上英文課堂,教官常常以取笑腔調訓示我們:「你班友!細個番學讀書就鐘意上體育堂唔喜歡英文課,而家就掉番轉!」學兵們則大笑說因喜歡嘆冷氣及可在堂上抽烟。

受訓期間,學兵都是害怕訓練仕官的,因仕官可以隨時隨地没有原因地懲罰學兵,包括磨鞋、清潔、洗廁所等。學兵日常課後亦須將自己的軍服裝備刷亮燙直和地方清洗,於是時間是非常珍貴的,加上某些頑皮學兵更會於晚間偷走離營到「永華戲院」看免費電影,自尋節目或有時每當被仕官體罰後泄憤地撩事鬥非!

訓練期於第八個星期,學兵大都通過了步操考試,在飯後可以離營出外自由活動至晚上十時前回營。

1973年八月間,發生了一宗駭人的警察與華籍英兵大衝突。

To be continued,,..

[ 本帖最後由 Aussie_li 於 8-9-2008 17:14 編輯 ]

評分次數

• swana

Aussie Li is Paul Li, or is it a re-post?

This is the HK Chinese british-soldier corp, right?  I do remember something like that ...

Why didn't you emigrate to the UK?  Isn't it better?

NCO = Lance corporal or Sergeant?  Can't wait for part II ...

[ 本帖最後由 superhucard 於 17-8-2008 17:56 編輯 ]
原帖由 superhucard 於 17-8-2008 17:51 發表
Aussie Li is Paul Li, or is it a re-post?
Yes! I'm Paul Li, Aussie_li is my user ID on board. Sorry for typing too short in story's part because i've to use a head pointer for single key typing.

Paul Li講故事 2

The weather was so hot in the torrid sun at 1973’s mid-autumn, hence hard training and frequent penalized by the NCOs, a lot of recruits (including me) quite often went out to bully civilians specially targeting on bad-guys (drug-dealers & gangsters) or even longhairs teens along 筲箕灣 to 銅鑼灣, but never been interfered by policemen (don’t know why), I think they were merely concentrating on their corruption business by that time so they rather keep eye closed than getting trouble with British Army Personnel. Therefore, we became another gang of rascals with an icon of jarhead+sandals. Only that we wouldn’t touch female & children or elderly, nevertheless we were already under surveillance of PTU which was just newly formed for violence control.

In September the violence between Police and HKMSC soldiers was induced by an arrest for three recruits that I clearly recalled the incident because I involved. In one Wednesday’s evening we(10 recruits) went to Garden Restaurant to din & chat for leisure hours then going to leave, fortuitously there were 2 more intake-male came into the restaurant so three guys including me stayed behind with the 2 new arrivals continued to talk and drink for minutes more. And the other 7 recruits left and headed to barrack.

At about 9:30pm, the rear 5 recruits left the restaurant and returned to barrack by a taxi when turning left at the road junction which towards to the barrack. We saw many barrette head dressed policemen (PTU) had blocked the road and stopped our taxi to go through, so we got off and to see what happen. I seen three intake-mates were lying prone on the ground with handcuffed at their back and screamed for help. We attempted to rescue them but the PTU booted us away, we (5 recruits) immediately ran back to barrack and report the case to the guard room.

An hour later, almost 80 recruits and soldiers had ran to surrounded the whole 筲箕灣警署
, some radical members tried to charge forward into the entrance with brandishing the advertising board of police recruitment. However, there were three British Military Police who used their batons to truncheon back the guys, but few times attempted even unsuccessful. Other guys had surrounded the station and shot stones and hard garbage up to the station’s windows. We screamed out with anger, “Dare to come out? Coward!!”..

Hundreds of civilians gathering and newspaper reports also arrived, the situation was become critical, fortunately there appeared a British Army Officer who came out from to station and calmed the guys down by telling that the arrested recruits are to be released. Just seconds later, the three injury recruits were propped up by MPs to walk out slowly with deep painful looking.

At last several 4 toners came and carried the guys back to Lyemun barrack. In consequence the involved soldiers and recruits were punished 7 days Confine Barrack. During that 7 days we were been keeping informed that so many policemen were attacked when patrolling on street.

I recall it may not be entire but honestly that was I took part.

1973年秋季的一天,炎炎夏日之下加上嚴厲的體能訓練和頻頻受到仕官的懲罰,很多學兵包括自己在內都常常在工餘時候走到街上欺負路人,由筲箕灣至銅鑼灣的沿途,特別針對一些「古惑仔」及毒品小販或一些「長毛飛」。但是不知何解,學兵們的惡劣行為從未遭受街道上巡警的干預及拘捕,我想當期時巡警們都只在乎於上街「收片」而對於「軍部伙記」此等罪行都以「隻眼開隻眼閉」之態度處理,免除麻煩,(事因每多涉及軍人拘捕案後,涉案軍人都會被遣返軍部自行處紛,並且毆鬥這罪行於軍隊中只屬小事一椿,罰洗廁所一天了事)。於此,一批光頭而腳穿軍部涼鞋之學兵當時亦成為了社區上的一股惡勢力。只是,他們決不會欺凌女性、年邁長者及小童。誰不知我等滋事份子實際上已被警察部嚴密地監視著,同時一支專門控制暴力事件的快速應變機動部隊「PTU」亦剛成立,其首項任務似乎就是針對著這班學兵惡棍。

同年九月間一宗軍警間之大型衝突終於由一次拘捕學兵行動引發,我清楚記得整件事因為涉及案發經過。當日是星期三晚,我等10名學兵一起去到筲箕灣的「嘉頓餐廳」晚膳閒聊,正當離開時遇到另有兩名同期學兵走進餐廳,於是我們有三人留下與剛進餐廳二人一起再坐一會兒,其他七名學兵便先行離坐回營。

晚上大約九時三十分,我們五人離開餐廳乘坐的士回營,當車轉向軍營小路與道路之交界處,一群「藍帽子」封鎖了路口及截停了我們所乘的士,落車後,發覺有三名學兵被手銬反鎖扒在地上,頭顱還被人踩著,我認出他們就是餐廳先行離去者之其中三人。我們五人嘗試衝前救援但全被踢走離開現場,馬上跑回軍營將所見的報告更樓。

一小時後,大約八十名學兵與其他軍人齊集一起走去將整個筲箕灣警署圍堵,一些激憤分子甚至拾起警署門前的廣告招牌作武器,嘗試衝入報案室,卻被三名英裔寭兵用警棍痛擊趕退。經過數次衝擊都失敗了,其他人亦同時拾起石塊硬物擲擊警署二樓窗戶。大家極度憤怒地嘶喊著:「夠胆就行出嚟!
無胆鬼」

數以百計之市民聚集於街道上圍觀,大批記者也出現了,情況越來越嚴峻。很幸運地忽然有位英籍軍官從警署裡走出來向群眾呼籲,囑咐大家冷靜,宣佈三名被捕學兵已被釋放,那三位學兵亦同時間由寭兵摻扶下緩慢地步出警署,他們臉露著痛苦的表情。

最後多輪軍部卡車抵達現場將所有軍人接返軍營,結果所有包圍警署的滋事者都被處罰留營七日清理樹木。期間我們頻頻聽到新消息,外間有很多警員於巡邏時遭受不名來歷的大漢襲擊。可能這並非事實之全部卻是我親身的經歷。

[ 本帖最後由 Aussie_li 於 2-9-2008 18:18 編輯 ]
原帖由 superhucard 於 17-8-2008 17:51 發表
This is the HK Chinese british-soldier corp, right?  I do remember something like that ...
Why didn't you emigrate to the UK?  Isn't it better?
NCO = Lance ...
Thank you Superhucard,, if my story is interesting to you, I'll certainly keep on writing.
Yes! NCO = Non Commission Officer that ranking from Lance Corporral up to Staff Sergeant.
3 intake-mates were lying prone on the ground with handcuffed at their back and screamed for help
I want to know why the Police PTU did that?  What really happened?
During that 7 days we were been keeping informed that so many policemen were attacked when patrolling on street.
Who dare to do that?  That was before ICAC.  The police were like Bandit Kings.
The conflict between Policemen and HK soldiers was a complex problem that Young-Soldiers were fierce and misleadingly influenced by other senior soldiers, because they having under-table business that conflict with policemen who participated privately....In years of 60s and early 70s, police was obviously headache with 水雷砲兵 (our nick name before.)

Paul Li講故事 3

3. Driver EXPERIENCE
After 20 weeks recruit training, I attended another driver training course then was posted to a transportation unit to be an ambulance driver. During my driver training, I was definitely a very naughty and immature soldier. But I did appreciate a senior Sergeant who had given me opportunities for manner-consolidation & work performance. Just share a little piece with you.

In the first day/week of driver training, all learners formed up and were being given introductions & orders, at the topic of daily meal we were told to pay few dollars extra for additional vegetable-potions in advance. I dared suddenly doing attention by drove my foot hardly onto the ground and raised my hand and said, “Sorry Sir, can I pay afterwards and why do we need to pay?” Few seconds dead air turn up, I, recognized the Sgt’s face just a bite unimpressed but without any anger at all and was explained that because the kitchen meals supple are lack of vegetable which Chinese preferred. I didn’t notice that I was wrong and making troubles and insisted to argue with a Sgt. Of course, I was ordered to shut-up in consequence.

After this case I though I would having hard time due to arguing with the training leader; nevertheless, I had been offered a very patient instructor who was a very out standing master to me. It was no doubt that some instructors were greedy in Yum Chai飲茶. But my master never requests any dim-sum & tea.

After driver training completed I was posted to a transport unit it mainly served the transportation for British Military Hospital in King’s park. What a coincidence that the kind Sergeant was there as well, so I met him again. I sensed that this Sgt always kept eye on my performance so I had to work hard and to perform smart including keep turn-out well ironed and boots polished plus keeping vehicle in clean & tidy condition. Form time to time, the Sgt was very impressed upon my capability. Two years gone, Honestly, the shifts of ambulance driver duty was boring and lack of interest to me. Fortunately I got an opportunity to replace a Junior Carde vacancy which was given up by a senior-driver who tended to go for an oversea training. I really believed that's all control by my destiny, in consequence I was promoted and become a training NCO in the Depot. It was in 1979

二十個星期的學兵訓練完結,我參加了駕駛訓練後被調派到運輸部隊負責救護車駕駛工作。受訓期間,我的確是一個頑劣而不成熟的學員。但很多謝一位資深上級給與我機會和悉心教導,令我深感佩服,就讓我與大家分享一件事。

學車訓練的首日,全體學員和導師齊集,聽取課程內容及日常工作與訓令。當題目講到學員膳食時,學員須要額外加付數元加餸,我當時胆敢馬上右腳揼地作「立正」動作,舉起右手向沙展說:「Sorry沙展,我可否容後付款,,,點解要我地畀錢加餸?」沙展面露不悅,但並無怒氣並解釋,「加餸錢」是用來購買蔬菜,因為廚房認為餐單欠缺了中國人所喜好的菜蔬瓜果。當時我並未察覺提錯疑問及像在辯駁沙展,當然即時被喝止。

自此之後,我以為已開罪了上司,往後一定會有麻煩日子,但事實並非如是,相反地我被編排跟了一位非常優秀及有耐心的教車師傅。期間很多師傅都要學生請飲茶而我這位師傅則從不要求學生為他付鈔埋單。

學完車被調派到位於九龍京士栢的陸軍醫院擔任救護車司機一職,剛巧地,那位沙展亦被派至同一部門成為我的上司。自此,沙展常盯著我的工作表現,於是我亦加倍用心做好軍人本份,熨衫磨鞋要齊整還要將車輛妥善保養,日子久了,沙展已很賞識我的辦事能力。就此過了兩年時間,當值救護車更對我而言的確是沉悶又乏味,好彩有一個機會參加「初級仕官訓練班」,因為一名資歷比較深的司機選擇了去外國受訓而放棄這升級訓練,所以空缺由我頂上。相信一切都由上天安排,我就是這樣展開了我軍中的仕途,於1979年我進陞成為訓練營之一名初級訓練仕官。

[ 本帖最後由 Aussie_li 於 3-9-2008 13:19 編輯 ]

An interesting comment by an Ex Regimental Sergeant Major

The following article is written by an Ex- RSM who associated with HK soldiers in early 70s

In the early days of my posting to the HKMSC due to the absence ( quick posting)of the OC Trg Coy I had to assume the additional duties. On an inspection of recruits lockers, I found many dirty mess tins.
Owners were to attend early morning show parades to show standards rectified.

Each morning as I came down the hill from my married quarter, I could see the recruits plus mess tins, formed up for inspection, if my memory serves me right there were about 15 on parade.

Each day the numbers lessened except for a group of five who never seemed to obtained the cleanliness required. After several days of repeat parades I came down the hill as usual , looking across the parade ground I was impressed by the shine at that distance of the mess tins , the sun fairly bounced off them.

Impressed, I picked up the first for inspection and found to my amazement, that the mess tin had been chromed .... so had the others.
Walking to the rear of the recruits I had to grin, to show my delight in their initiative. Some one had a contact in the industry and made use of it, full marks to who it was that organised the solution to the problem. I do hope that his initiative was well rewarded in his later life in the HKMSC. I never probed to find out who got the job done, the recruits had out smarted me me. I admired that quietly.

[ 本帖最後由 Aussie_li 於 18-8-2008 20:05 編輯 ]

4. ARMY CAREER

I lost 20 pounds in weight under the pressure of been to a new member of training company, the Officer Major was famously known as the hardest and highest expectation on his NCOs abilities. I experienced his strange temper when I met him in the interview on the date I reported duty. I can remember that sooner his office’s door opened the Sergeant Major marched me in and halted at in front of his disk, the Major stared at me fund that a different (previous unit’s) badge was still pinned on my beret and with no strip (sign of rank) on arm, he immediately berated me to get change within FIVE minutes.

To be a training instructor absolutely isn’t easy. By that time, I was totally inexperienced in “Method of Instruction” and “Weapon Training Skill”, even didn’t fully understand some essential contents on the weapon training pamphlets. It’s no doubt that I made misleading occasionally on teachings so the Major keep accusing me plus hard time on job.

Fortunately this Training Major tended to give me chances and advices on the correction ands improvement for my military skill plus teaching technique, even more he sent me to UK for many military training instructor courses. Actually I had not let this kind Major down that I obtained many good results in consequence. After personal familiarization on various teaching skill and smart personal drill, I became an outstanding NCO among my colleagues and sooner and rapid promotions were absolutely amazing to me. In 1984, I’d been to the rank of Staff-Sergeant. Another prompt promotion of Warrant Officer class 2 informed me that after the completion of RQMS course, I’ll replace the RQ which was British WOII taken place.

However, luck not always be with me! Meanwhile I was waiting the promotion; the Commandant was changed duty, a new Lt. Col. Turn up. My good dream was turned down! The new Commandant had been whispered by a high-senior Corps member that my previous promotions were unbelievable fast because I’m a shoe-shining-boy擦鞋仔, in fact corrupting the Ex Commandant for promotions. In progress of the interview regarding my promotion cancellation, I clearly recalled as follows:

Commandant:
“Li, I’m sorry that your coming promotion is turned down. The reason’s I found that you’d jump promoted 3 times within two years time, it’s very unusually! And, I need to observe your capability and verify this recommendation. Don’t worry young man, if you’re really that smart & distinguished, you won’t be suffered.”

Paul:
“Sure Sir!,,.. I do think my further promotion has being turned down, it’s not my loss! It’s Army’s loss.”

Commandant:
“I’ll see…..<grin>

I enjoyed as a Drill Instructor in The training Depot. In one occasion of our Company Sergeant Major on course, so I was acting his rank therefore I need to carry a pace stick, and because marching a pace stick was my favour drill. One day on my way of marching my stick from the drill square toward my office, suddenly I heard a loud voice, “Well-done Staff,, you’re the first one I have seen in the corps who plays the stick!” I seen there’s the Commandant of course immediately I saluted to him and said “Thank-you Sir”. At the Lunch-time in the Sergeants Mess, other pace-stick carriers were blaming about due to all of them had been ordered to practise their own skills on marching a pace stick.

成為訓練營的新成員後我體重驟降了二十磅。訓練主管是一位對下屬要求非常嚴格及難相處的少校。在報到當天第一次被他召見時就體會到他的古怪脾氣,我記得那時房門打開後訓練准尉帶領我步操入內至他寫字桌前停下,少校盯了我一眼發覺我還帶著舊部隊帽徽及手臂處並無階級徽號,馬上喝令我須五分鐘內將之糾正。

作為一名稱職訓練仕官的確不是一件易事,當期時自己實在是欠缺經驗於「施教方法」和「武器技巧訓練」方面。甚至未有完全熟讀訓練課程手冊,無疑,某些課題出現了施教失當,於是訓練少校經常盯著我的工作和給我壓力。

幸運地少校亦同時給予我機會改進自己的軍事經驗及教學技巧,更派我到英國參加多項訓練,事實上我亦没有使他失望,多次獲取優異成績。期後自己也續漸掌握到教學技巧和軍事常識水平,亦做到一名優秀的訓練仕官及迅速地獲得數次晋陞。直到再一次被通知將會陞為「二級准尉」接替一名英裔人士出任的倉庫總管。

可是,幸運不會常伴我左右!正當我等待陞級期間剛好是部隊司令交替,一位新司令「中校」履新。陞級好夢成空!新司令因聽到一位團中位高權重的華裔人士耳語,說我是名「補飛擦鞋仔」,實際上我是賄賂前任司令才能獲得令人難以置信的超速進陞。我清楚記得在一次司令接見中的對話:

司令:
Li,對唔住,你來次升級被取締了,原因係我發覺你過往兩年內跳級升了三次。這很不尋常。同時,我需要觀察你的才能及再審核這次升級推荐,年青人,,如果你確實係有能力的話,你係唔會有損失既。」

李:
Sure Sir,我想在下此次升級被取締只是軍隊的損失,並非我的損失」

司令:
「我會睇到的」<陰笑了一下>

我很嚮往作為一名軍操教官。有一次因訓練營准尉外出參與一課程關係,我便替代其職位,須要隨身携一支軍操步距器,俗稱「棍」,操「棍」本是我的喜好。一天我由操場步回寫字樓途中正開「棍」步操著,忽然聽到一響亮聲音「好嘢!你是香港團隊中首個我看見能持開棍步操的仕官。」我轉身發現原來係司令在說話,便馬上立正畀禮說:「Thankyou Sir.」之後午飯間聽到很多准尉級的華籍人士都要出席「操棍」練習,才知道開罪了這班高層。

[ 本帖最後由 Aussie_li 於 3-9-2008 13:27 編輯 ]