Job market in Vancouver

"What kind?  You mean like a clerk?"

The only clerical type that is similar to a "clerk" in Hong Kong would be a payroll clerk or a bookkeeping/accounting clerk.  But that needs office admin/accounting experience or certificate.  There are some mailroom staff needed, but they work more like a labourer than a clerk.  Heavy lifting required.
Ah, try some temporary office contractors - they hire people for temporary replacement (vacation, pregnancy replacements) office staff for their client companies.  Pay is bad, but you get some Canadian experience.  After a while, you will be much better equip to find a real job.
Everyone has to take the test when register at the agencies. I took it already. They simply test the typing speed and some basic knowledge of using Microsoft Office, e.g. Word & Excel.
chrishongkong 發表於 31-7-2009 03:47
個 d speed tests 係 data entry 工入門來, 老實冇做過 lee d 位, 都唔係易 pass. 真係睇吓 d agencies 有冇 d 好 d 工, 重要 lee 到 d agencies 係唔收你 $ 介紹的
Hi chrishongkong. A lot of jobs are internally filled or referred by current staff.

If you do attend church, it's a good source of information and connection to ask for job leads. The company I work  ...
nights 發表於 3-8-2009 13:45
I am an atheist. I can't go to church because I want a job. Thanks for your suggestion anyway. Off the topic, the percentage of Christian is pretty high compared to HK.
20# bigboss1234

I didn't ask the agent for data entry job. They introduced me a job after the test, but eventually I didn't get the offer. What I mean is I couldn't even get the offer of a data entry job.
21# bigboss1234

I attended a short payroll course at VCC (the lecturersucks), it wasn't really helpful. Getting a full certificate will take at least 2 years, I am not sure it worths.

I am thinking of getting a license for auto insurance agent. Anyone knows how to register or take the examination. Every family has at least one vehicle, I guess this industry will sustain, though competition is high.
20# bigboss1234  

I didn't ask the agent for data entry job. They introduced me a job after the test, but eventually I didn't get the offer. What I mean is I couldn't even get the offer of a data en ...
chrishongkong 發表於 4-8-2009 09:30
d data entry 工好大部份 d agencies 公司自已接左來做, 再請人, not very good
現在個時期, 又係冇乜公司開 new posts, 你基本上想做乜
26# chrishongkong

You said you studied Math in Hong Kong.  Where ?  What kind.  I was Pure Math (Functional Analysis, Probability, etc.) and worked in Canada in various jobs - Stat, Computing, etc.  These usually don't need local experience, especially in banking, investment etc.  You said certificate.  Certificates and degrees only gets you an interview.  It is your ability and personality that gets the job.  Oh, can you write reports in English ? That's important.  Show them something you have done before.
Reading this post scares me. I'm in 3rd year at SFU. No real work experience.
No jobs here, no jobs in HK. What am I gonna do?
本帖最後由 Kyrie 於 22-8-2009 13:39 編輯
Reading this post scares me. I'm in 3rd year at SFU. No real work experience.
No jobs here, no jobs in HK. What am I gonna do?
Medivh 發表於 22-8-2009 12:06
What are you studying at SFU?

BTW, how many HK people at SFU these days?  90% mainland Chinese, right?