請問移民的問題

Best weather in Canada with lots of Chinese people.

We live a "Hong Kong life-style" here in Hongcouver.  No need to speak English at all and you can get most things from Hong Kong easily and conv ...
Kyrie 發表於 8-10-2009 10:33
hahah...i heard that...真的如此誇張, 咁當地人會不會好憎我地

評分次數

• nights

hahah...i heard that...真的如此誇張, 咁當地人會不會好憎我地
alansradio 發表於 8-10-2009 04:15
We have 400,000 Chinese people in Vancouver.  They don't DARE try to do anything these days.
We have 400,000 Chinese people in Vancouver.  They don't DARE try to do anything these days.
Kyrie 發表於 8-10-2009 20:18
hahahah...好笑
Why Vancouver ?   
alansradio 發表於 8-10-2009 10:26
I would say out of all the other popular spots for immigrants, Vancouver is "closest" to Hong Kong in terms of physical distance and influences. We have a lot of restaurants, supermarket, beauty and other services that are originated from Hong Kong.

Kyrie is right that we have a lot of Chinese (including those from Hong Kong, mainland China, and Taiwan) in Vancouver, and we are highly concentrated. Yes, you can live without speaking English, but at the same time, it will greatly limit you in living in Canada.

The living pace in Vancouver is much slower than Hong Kong, and we do not have as much entertainment facilities as Hong Kong. However, we have an awesome natural sceneries. Our forest is the home of many unique animals like Grizzy Bear, and Pacific Salmon. Our mountain Whistler is the best in world and perfect for skiing, snowboarding, and snowshoeing (hiking in the snow). We have a lot of recreational facilities such as swimming pool, basketball court, golf course, and tennis court that are inexpensive (often free) and available (do not need to book in advance). We also have a wilder side of night life with plenty clubs, bars, and karaoke.

Vancouver is filled with people from different cultures (Indian, Greek, Japanese, Korean, Philipino, French and United States), so we are blessed with a variety of different restaurants. Imagine having Western style breakfast, Korean BBQ for lunch, Japanese sushi for snacks, and Greek food for dinner. Plus, you can find all these great restaurants in the same block!

Let's talk about some of the not-so-good things about Vancouver.

Vancouver, like the rest of Canada, is heavily taxed. Any goods and services are subjected to 5% tax, and additional 7% tax on some of the other goods and services (such as eating out). Income tax is fairly high as well, from 20% to 50%.

You will find that a lot of things are cheaper in Hong Kong such as clothing. Groceries is more expensive than in Hong Kong, however, our gov't takes a great measure in keeping our food safe.

If you like to own a car and drive around, you can drive all across Canada and even United States. All the freedom is in your hands, as long as you have the driver license and identification.  The gas price here is a lot cheaper compared to the gas price in Hong Kong, and it's even cheaper in United States.

Hope this gives you a brief answer to your question. Feel free to ask if you have any questions!

Do you have a family with children? I'll be happy to talk a bit more about education here.
My Radio 香港人網- 加拿大版

http://www.facebook.com/wall.php?id=135345649427#/group.php?gid=135345649427
本帖最後由 alansradio 於 9-10-2009 19:10 編輯

hi nights,
wow...you are talking me into it. 真係比你講到想過來看一看. thank you very much for your detailed info anyway.
but i know many hk people migrated to canada finally go back to hk. i think it's really really hard to find a job there.

so in vancouver, r there more HK ppl than mainland ppl? in australia, more mandarin-speaking ppl than HK ppl. so hk people always say their mandarin improves much more than english.

how expensive are the things in vancouver? how much for a dish of rice? room rent a week?

public transport in australia sucks (always delay or cancel), how about canada?
The freedom here is just awesome. Even for someone coming from HK.
People are less judgmental, tolerant and liberal.
Of course it's not paradise, it is quite nice though.
hi nights,
wow...you are talking me into it. 真係比你講到想過來看一看. thank you very much for your detailed info anyway.
but i know many hk people migrated to canada finally go back to hk. i think it ...
alansradio 發表於 9-10-2009 19:06
Finding the exact job as you were in Hong Kong is usually difficult, since we stress on Canadian (local) working experience. In general, our market is a lot smaller than HK, so be prepared to start anew in your industry, or go with a new industry/career.

If your skill/profession is very unique and in demand, then the transition will be smoother. However, further additional/certification is needed for some professions like Accounting, and Medical officers. In terms of job market, Toronto will have more opportunities than Vancouver.

The good thing about working here is that you, as an employee, is protected by employment laws.  Full time work is 40 hours per week, and overtime pay are mandatory, so 9 am to 5:30 pm work hours are common. Often times people will head off to a ski or camping trip right after work on Friday.

In the 80-90s, the immigrants are usually from Hong Kong, and a certain number from Taiwan. However, from about 2003 there have been a large increase of immigrants from mainland China, while there are a great reduction in HK or Taiwanese immigrants. This change has cause a lot of new development that serves the mainland Chinese such as Shanghai restaurants and simpified Chinese newspaper. Another interesting thing resulting from this culture shift is ordering food in restaurant, the waitors and customers can often communicate in both Cantonese and Mandrain.

Living expense is steadily increasing and comparable to HK's (if you convert $1 Candian to $7 HK). Dish of rice can range from $5-7 in food court, and $10-15 in restaurants. Typical westerner dinner is from $20-50 per person. I believe rent is about $1000-1200 per month for a flat, but don't hold me to the accuracy since I still live with my family.

Real Estate price is VERY high for Canadians, but still cheaper than HK's prices. For example, my house is about 2x00 square feet (1st and 2nd floor combined) and calls for about $550,000 Canadian, which is $3.85 million HK. Using myself as example, I make about $24,000 Canadian per year after tax, so it's very difficult to buy my own house unless I move up a couple levels in my career.

Public transportation still lacks behind Hong Kong by far, so owning a car is pretty much a MUST if you live and work here. Imagine walking for 15 min to the NEAREST bus stop when the temperature is only 5 degree.

I think benben (#7 post) has raised some very good questions, so please consider them when you think about immigrantion.

Here's a picture of my last camping trip. Only 3.5 hours driving from Vancouver, and cost me about $100 Canadian (food and camp included) for 3 days and 2 nights.

附件: 您所在的用戶組無法下載或查看附件
My Radio 香港人網- 加拿大版

http://www.facebook.com/wall.php?id=135345649427#/group.php?gid=135345649427
17# nights
Rent might be a bit higher depending on the area.
If you don't own a car, you'll want to live in areas close to amenities, which will mean higher rent. On the other hand, cheaper rent in places further away means more money for a car. Depends what you like.
Best weather in Canada with lots of Chinese people.

We live a "Hong Kong life-style" here in Hongcouver.  No need to speak English at all and you can get most things from Hong Kong easily and conv ...
Kyrie 發表於 8-10-2009 10:33
I guess you used to have a "Hong Kong life-style" here, but more Mainland Chinese coming to Vancouver these few years, I hear people speaking Putonghua more than Cantonese.
本帖最後由 Kyrie 於 10-10-2009 01:44 編輯
I guess you used to have a "Hong Kong life-style" here, but more Mainland Chinese coming to Vancouver these few years, I hear people speaking Putonghua more than Cantonese.
chrishongkong 發表於 10-10-2009 00:29
Yeah ...

You live in Richmond, right?

I was talking to a restaurant manager last night.  He told me that MANY Cantonese speakers in Richmond have 回流 back to Hong Kong ...

So how is the 人口 in Richmond now?  At least Vancouver isn't as bad as Toronto.