Things that you like or dislike here in Canada

Things that you like or dislike here in Canada

本帖最後由 moleitau 於 29-10-2009 07:51 編輯

As an immigrant of Canada, which most of us are, we all went through the stage of adaptation to living in an unfamiliar environment when we first came to this country. During the course, I'm sure there are things that you like or uncomfortable with in comparison to your home country, let's tell us things that you like or dislike about Canada or how you feel about Canada as a whole, what's good and what's not so good.

To begin with, I'll start with mine here. Cops here in Canada won't and can't just stop anyone walking down the street for no reason asking for identification. In HK I find it annoying and have the feeling of not being respected. Also, it is a nuisance to carry the I.D. card at all times. Having said that, I do understand there is a need in HK to have this rule in place just to prevent crime. As for my viewpoint on Canada as a whole please refer to:

http://www.hkreporter.com/talks/viewthread.php?tid=830148&pid=4467720&page=7&extra=page%3D1
Post #68

Thank you for your input in advance.

Cheers

評分次數

• nights

痛苦始終會過去的, 正如快樂的時光一樣; 想留也留不住 ...
The HK ID card was originally designed against the Vietnam boat people.. Which HK missed the big boat (pardon the pun).. just look at Canada.. the 2nd generation Vietnam immigrants are contributing to the economy NOW..

It's a huge privacy invasion.. You just need to stand on the street waiting for a friend and the HK police, with nothing better to do, will ask you to show ID. And I don't even know why HK people let the government (well the HK people don't have a choice) to change ID cards every so-many years. It's a huge waste of money and time..
本帖最後由 Kyrie 於 28-10-2009 19:05 編輯

香港身份證

1949年以前,香港政府無限制中國內地的居民從內地移居香港。一般人皆可以隨意往來香港與中國大陸兩地,香港亦沒有對中國籍居民進行人事登記。1949年中國大陸政權易手後,大量難民湧入香港。為控制香港人口,政府開始實行邊境管制,限制中國內地的居民入境。並開始登記香港居民並發出身份證。首次登記在1949年展開,當時發出的身份證只是一張以人手填上資料的紙張。

1960年6月1日起,政府改發第二代身份證。這種身份證上有持證人的指模及照片,資料以打字機填上,並且加以過膠。男性的身份證為藍色,女性的則為紅色。

1973年11月,政府改發第三代身份證,證件上的指模取消,不再以顏色區分性別。第二及第三代身份證上蓋有簽發印章,以綠色代表居港不足七年的居民,黑色代表永久居民。故此當時新移民被稱為「綠印客」。

香港早期並無法例規定居民攜帶身份證。為阻止內地移民偷渡潮,1980年10月23日起,香港政府實施即捕即解政策,規定所有年滿18歲的香港居民需在公眾地方攜帶身份證,違例者會被罰款港幣$1000元。

1983年3月,入境處推出第一代電腦身份證,較舊證加強防偽措施,並透過電腦系統令出入境程序簡化。

1987年6月1日,入境處再為所有香港居民簽發第二代電腦身份證。設計與上一代幾乎相同,其特點是沒有殖民地徽章,可以順利過渡1997年7月1日以後繼續使用。

2003年,入境處分階段為香港居民簽發智能身份證。入境處首先在2003年6月23日開始為遺失或損毀了身份證的持證人、年滿11歲或18歲的換領兒童及成人身份證的人士簽發智能身份證。

全香港所有居民由2003年8月18日開始,按其出生年份分階段換領智能身份證,入境處在全香港特別設立9間智能身份證中心供市民換證,換領於劃已於2007年3月31日結束,而為換領計劃而特別設立的智能身份證中心已於2007年5月19日起關閉。

2008年7月14日,入境事務處宣佈第二代電腦身份證於2008年11月30日起全部失效。

http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9 ... B%E4%BB%BD%E8%AD%89
本帖最後由 moleitau 於 29-10-2009 11:34 編輯

2# mhkhung

A privacy invasion, sure it is!

A law-abiding citizen here in Canada deal with the police on rare occasions. I have been living in this country for 17 yrs.+ and pretty much need to drive on a daily basis. Through these years I have only had 2 encounters with the police. One was a speeding incident and the other was a road block being set up by the police to stop drinking & driving. In either case the policeman was polite and I was treated with courtesy.

"Sir, how are you doing today?"  "You are driving more than 20km above the limit, I have no choice but I'll have to give you a ticket" ... "Slow down!"

"Good evening Sir, how are you doing today? Sorry to have stopped you, the reason of setting this road block here is to check for drinking & driving." I then told him that I was off from work and was heading home, then he said "Sorry again for the holdup, you can go now. Have a nice evening Sir."

If I were in HK I will be the one calling him "Sir".
Funny some friends keep commenting how fat and lazy the cops are in Canada (well, may be somewhat true) and how polite are those are in HK.. (yeah right)

HK I think has the highest number of police per capita in the world.. and look at how they treat the demonstrators.. sorry, I have no respect for them at all.
Funny some friends keep commenting how fat and lazy the cops are in Canada (well, may be somewhat true) and how polite are those are in HK.. (yeah right)

HK I think has the highest number of police p ...
mhkhung 發表於 28-10-2009 20:28
You have read this?
http://www.hkreporter.com/talks/thread-831501-1-1.html
6# Kyrie

I guess most cops will treat you like dirt if they have reasons to believe that you are a criminal or if you have already commited a crime.

HK I think has the highest number of police p ...
mhkhung 發表於 29-10-2009 12:28
Indeed, HK should be ranking high in police per capita. I believe there are about 30,000 in total, so that means there's a cop in every 233 people. There's certainly more than 233 people in any given public area!

About fat and lazy cops, I guess it's the North American stereotype about donut-eating and coffee-drinking cops.

My experience with the police here have been very pleasant, even at the time that I got ticketed for a minor traffic violation. There were actually a few more times that I got warnings instead of a ticket.

The road-block against drinking and driving program has been very successful. It's a bit of inconvenience for most of us, but it's worth it if it saves someone from getting into an accident due to alcohol.
My Radio 香港人網- 加拿大版

http://www.facebook.com/wall.php?id=135345649427#/group.php?gid=135345649427
本帖最後由 moleitau 於 30-10-2009 01:27 編輯

People get the impression of those fat and lazy cops portrayed through Hollywood movies. In reality, the screening test for police application is very demanding physically, like they need to finish a mile-run under certain minutes. An average person will not be able to pass the test, so I don't see how an overweighted chap can pass those test.
本帖最後由 Kyrie 於 29-10-2009 14:32 編輯
6# Kyrie  

I guess most cops will treat you like dirt if they have reasons to believe that you are a criminal or if you have already commited a crime.
moleitau 發表於 28-10-2009 23:09
There is still much for you to learn about North America ...
(also visit USA West and USA East boards)